How’s your 2015 starting out?
If you’re anything like me, you’re probably just recovering from the year end’s festivities, excesses and project wrap-ups. Sure can have an effect on your adrenal glands eh?
And if you were a conscientious new year celebrator, I’m sure you dutifully came up with your important Rs for the year.
No, I wasn’t referring to Resolutions.
There is something more than Resolutions that will get you going this year.
I’m talking about RITUALS.
You knew that was coming. I’m a Feng Shui gal after all.
The most important part of the day that we have been taught since we were wee tall was that the way you start your day sets the tone for the rest of your day.
If you start your day off by hitting snooze 15 times, then racing out of bed to the door with no breakfast and are only fueled by a caffeinated beverage, my guess is that you experience moments of fatigue, crankiness and eyes-glazing-over through out the day. But of course, that’s only until you reach for your next boost of energy – cookies or coffee anyone?
No, no, no. That is not how I am going to let you start your 2015.
With my Feng Shui clients and in my own personal life, morning rituals are the foundation of everything, everyday. The energy we create and intend into our day can be the game changer between an awful day and a great day.
If I don’t start my day with my ritual of meditation, gratitude and a green smoothie (and an occasional trampoline dance), my nearest and dearest know to stay out of my trajectory. It’s kinda crazy how simple it can be, yet we don’t do it.
So how are you implementing healthy rituals into your morning to ensure that you have a balanced and promising day?
If I threw you for a loop, here are some easy suggestions from my own repertoire (another R!):
- Give yourself enough time. I like to give myself at least 2 hours from the moment I wake up, to the moment I walk out the door. Yup, you heard me right. It’s NYC people, I need to fortify and prep my inner world before I walk out my door. So if you can’t do 2 hours, try adding on 15 minutes and see if that makes a difference in your day. If you have to trick yourself and set your clocks 15 minutes fast, do it. I don’t know how that really works, but I hear it does.
- Meditate. How many times can I get on my soapbox about this? Too many I’m guessing but that’s because I’m a true believer. People don’t realize the meditation doesn’t have to be just when you are sitting on a cushion with your eyes closed. You can bring yourself into a blissful state of meditation while walking, washing the dishes, folding laundry. I kid you not. Read more on meditation. Just starting out? Check out a local meditation meetup near you.
- Set an intention for the day. I love this one. In Feng Shui, intention is the most important element in creating what you want. And it’s available to you, all day, everyday! I like to state my intention as soon as I open my eyes. Examples: I will have a peaceful and fun day or My meeting will go off without a hitch. Got it?
- Express Gratitude. Oh another oldie but goodie. We tend to see what we are lacking as opposed to what we already have/own/feel. So many riches are being overlooked. It’s only in being grateful can we truly continue to bring more amazingness into our lives. I’ll also bet you that your mood will escalate as a result. Read more about gratitude journalling.
- Eat breakfast. You know like the Wheaties box says, “The Breakfast of Champions.” Even if you don’t like breakfast, think like Superman or Wonder woman and think how much awesome energy you’ll have later in the day. Try starting off small like a smoothie or a boiled egg. Just make sure your breakfast treat has healthy protein and not just salt and sugar. Keep it healthy, keep it filling and watch your energy and mood improve. Guaranteed.
So, did I convince you to start a ritual? Maybe your other R, Resolutions, incorporated some of these suggestions. Here is my last tip – in whatever you choose as your morning or any daily ritual, choose the same time of day or same sequence in your day to do your ritual. That is the secret to creating a sustaining ritual.
I’d love to hear back from you – do you already have a ritual in place that rocks your world? Do you need support on starting a new one? Share, ask and inspire me. Looking to hear from you!
Start your new year off on the right foot! Check out my kick-butt promo that is focused on prepping you for the Year of the Wood Goat in 2015. There’s no better way to success than to show up prepared.