There’s no denying that Spring is on the horizon. In NYC, we thought it would never come but our unusual east coast patience is paying off. Beautiful sunny days are squeezed between snow flurries and there’s no ignoring the excitement on everyone’s rush hour faces when it’s still daylight at 6pm. Hooray Daylights Savings Time!
The Spring Equinox officially arrives on March 20th. The change of seasons are a very powerful time of the year. They signify a shift in cycles and instead of resisting, going with the natural flow of the seasons allows the best flow in our lives. In Feng Shui, Spring signifies beginnings, fresh starts, growth and renewal. The element is Wood and the color is Green.
We have about a week to prep for this seasonal shift. Here are some tips that can help you move easily into this time of renewal and new beginnings:
1. Spring clean your internal environment. This would be a good time to examine your diet and think about gradually moving away from warmer, heavier foods like pastas and sauces (I know, if it snows again, I give you an excuse) and bring in more fresh “green” produce like spinach, green juices/smoothies, salads. Our body will want to naturally want to release, detox and renew. Stay tuned as next month I’ll be speaking about my Spring Cleanse.
2. Spring clean your external environment. I know that this really isn’t what you want to hear but I promise you, it doesn’t have to be a daunting task. It can be something small like your reorganizing your wallet, tidying your entryway so the entry is not obstructed or the getting to the “shred” pile. Tackling and finishing a nagging task will greatly help energy move because you will be completing the old and making way for the new.
3. Move something in your home – Many believe that Feng Shui is only about moving furniture. Yes, that can be true, but if you follow my blog, you realize that it’s much, much more. In this case though, I would like for you to move furniture. Is there something in your home that you have been wanting to get rid of, that’s broken or needs a fresh coat of paint? Maybe you’ve been meaning to move your desk from one room to another. Now’s the time to do it. Moving it now, will again, move the energy and get you prepped for the new energy of Spring!
4. Open the windows! Chi, or energy needs to be changed regularly to allow balance and flow in our lives. We can do things on a daily basis – such as mediation and yoga- to consistently keep our energy in balance but when we get the opportunity to physically change the energy, we jump on it! On a nice day, open all your windows for at least 20 minutes. When you’re done, spray a citrus scent to keep the air uplifted. Or go the natural route and peel and orange and eat it!
5. Make a list of what you would like to begin. This is where the real work begins. Don’t shy away from this one. Find an hour in your schedule this week and think about how your winter has progressed. Think about the months to come and write down on a sheet of paper – free form – all the things you would like to accomplish from March 20 to June 21 (Summer solstice). Then go through the choices, be ruthless and honest about what can really be done in 3 months. Eliminate until you are down to 3 things. Then get started.
Taking these steps will definitely get you off to a good start and get you energized for Spring. We are in the Year of the Horse, a year full of vigor and movement so this is the year to get the things you have always been wanting to tackle, done. Remember to be intentional and don’t forget to allow down time so that you don’t burn out. Spring ahead!